This is wonderful -
john

At 03:04 AM 4/23/2007, you wrote:
re-send

---

II

A miserable path runs along the south side of the railway. Even in the wintertime, someone has passed here. The snow isn't very deep. It barely covers the soil. On the railway embankment, willow bushes and dry stalks of some last summer's plants are seen. There has been an attempt to cut down some of the willow bushes quite recently. It is difficult to walk on the embankment except along the path. By the side of the path stands a metal cabinet, of the type that is commonly encountered near railways. There has been some spray painting on the surface of the cabinet, but most of the paint has been cleaned away. The lower part of the cabinet is covered by aluminum plate. A few sprayed letters can still be found on the aluminum. Beneath the plate some black electric cables appear in confused wreaths and continue to hidden destinations under the ground. Shortly behind the cabinet, the name of the halt can be seen on a modest signpost. The name is beautiful.

Once a helicopter had landed near this place. It was landing. He looked as the helicopter descended lower and lower. It had been summer, June or beginning of July. Dry. The sound of the helicopter landing. The sound enters even inside the apartments. It is almost similar sound to a spinning washing machine. Somebody has engineered the washing machine to spin-dry the laundry just like that. The beginning of the spinning phase of the wash programme is a signal that differentiates from the background noise of the other domestic sounds. We become conscious of the existence of the washing machine. Maybe it is night. Somewehre a washing machine is spinning and you hear the sound in your sleep. The water is flowing out. This is an everyday sound we have been subjected to already in prenatal age. Looking at a watch I can tell that the duration of the spin-dry phase is four or five minutes. After those minutes the wash programme will continue more quietly.

For some reason I connected the piano teacher to this place, the empty field and the railway halt beside the field, the halt actually being just a name on a blue sign beside the tracks. The news item in the paper told about some other trackside elsewhere, a location that I had never even seen. It had been cold when I met the piano teacher. Spring, maybe just before the First of May. The man was shabby. He was carrying a doll inside a transparent plastic box. The landing helicopter is not connected with this. It happened later, on a sunny afternoon.

MENU BANAL >> http://jlehmus.sdf-eu.org << MENU BANAL

--
BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Spam:        https://antispam.osu.edu/b.php?c=s&i=284344002&m=d5bc261169ec