PLEASE DON'T DOWNLIST MANATEES!

ON ENDANGERED SPECIES DAY,
TAKE ACTION TO PROTECT THEM

"The bottom line here is that the manatee is not safe from
extinction, no matter how officials play the numbers game,
and significant threats on its survival continue to haunt it."
--Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel

Hi Alan,

On Friday, May 18th, Americans from all across the country
will celebrate Endangered Species Day. But as we pay tribute
to our nation's endangered species, manatees are facing their
biggest threat ever. Recently, after conducting a 5-year review
of the manatee's federal status, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
(Service) recommended downlisting them from "endangered" to
"threatened."

We need you to help manatees by sending a quick online letter now!
http://www.savethemanatee.org/actionalert.cfm?id=14

Why aren't we celebrating the news we have fought for so many
years to hear? Because these actions are politically driven. With
the market for coastal land skyrocketing, powerful groups have
been lobbying for a long time to change the manatee's status.

According to the Service's own Recovery Plan, manatees should
NOT be downlisted until deaths from boat strikes and the
destruction of habitat are brought under control. But these
threats are increasing. And the Service ignored a recent report
from the U.S. Geological Survey that stated: "Any increase in
watercraft-related mortality substantially increases the risk of
the Florida manatee population reaching the point of no
probable recovery."

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

1. ACT NOW! Please let decision-makers know you strongly
oppose the manatee's downlisting at this time. Click on
the link below to get more information on this issue and
to send a quick and easy online letter to Dirk Kempthorne,
U.S. Secretary of the Interior; H. Dale Hall, Director of the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; and Florida Governor Charlie Crist.

http://www.savethemanatee.org/actionalert.cfm?id=14

2. Ask all your friends and family members to send the letter.

3. Make a donation now to help us take whatever actions
are necessary, including legal action, to ensure that manatees
are protected to the full extent of federal and state law.
Please be as generous as possible so we can have the
resources to act decisively:
http://www.savethemanatee.org/shop/donate.cfm

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE
FOR MANATEES!

GET MORE INFO:

Read press articles on the manatee downlisting issue:
http://www.savethemanatee.org/news_fed_downlisting_articles_07.html

Find an Endangered Species Day event near you:
http://www.stopextinction.org/site/c.epIQKXOBJsG/b.1605447/k.2BD1/Endangered_Species_Day_events.htm?auid=2671755

Thank your senator for unanimously declaring Friday,
May 18th, Endangered Species Day:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

If you want to change your email address, please email us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sign Up for our free Paddle Tales E-Newsletter!
Go to http://www.savethemanatee.org/enews_signup.htm

Our postal address is
500 N. Maitland Ave.
Maitland, Florida 32751
United States

ABOUT SMC
Save the Manatee Club is a nonprofit organization founded in 1981
by former Florida Governor and U.S. Senator Bob Graham and
singer Jimmy Buffett. To learn more about manatees and our work,
go to http://www.savethemanatee.org

JOIN US!
Adopt-A-Manatee and join Save the Manatee Club. Your
contribution will support our work to help protect endangered
manatees and their habitat. For more information, go to
http://www.savethemanatee.org/adoptpag.htm

PASS IT ALONG
Help spread the word about manatees! Please forward this
message to your family and friends. If you got this message
from a friend, sign up to receive our Action Alerts at our
Take Action page at http://www.savethemanatee.org/action.htm

QUESTIONS?
You can get updates on Action Alert issues by visiting the
Take Action page of our web site. If you have additional questions,
please email us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]