Standard HTML lists have a certain amount of left-indentation. The amount
varies on each browser. Some browsers use padding (Mozilla, Netscape,
Safari) and others use margins (Internet Explorer, Opera) to set the amount
of indentation.

The best thing to do is to remove all default padding first like this:
ul { padding: 0;  margin: 0;  }

Once this rule is applied the list will sit flush left and you can add
padding as required to position the LI items.

Russ