We may be making too big a deal of all of this targeting IE5, but just to
add more fuel to the fire...

There has been some talk about conditional comments vs mid-pass filter. Has
anyone been using or playing with conditional comments to target IE5?
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/cc2.shtml

My problem conditional comments is that they are on the page rather than in
the CSS. This goes against the main strengths of CSS - write one rule and
apply it across an entire site. The other issue is separation of content and
presentation - the aim is to remove presentation information from the page.
This technique does the opposite.

Another method? I hadn't heard of targeting IE5 with a simple dash in front
of a CSS rule till this morning:
http://dhtmlkitchen.com/weblog/examples/hyphenbug/bug.html

Russ