Someone *had* to mention the S word didn't they.....

OK lets say I have an object called a member. This object has certain
properties (name, age, shoe size, etc..) and each of these properties has a
value.

I can either:

<dl>
        <dt>Age</dt>
        <dd>30</dd>

        <dt>Shoe Size</dt>
        <dd>12</dd>
</dl>

Or I could go for

                <th>Age</th>
                <th>Shoe Size</th>

Which is better? I've heard good argument for both and I really don't think
either one is Wrong. Personally I prefer the former because there is less
typing involved... whoops did I just say that? I meant because it conveys
more meaning.

On the positive side <dl/dt/dd> is a great option when you have clearly
defined attributes/value pairs. On the negative side the concept of a row
(represented by <tr>) is pretty meaningless here.

On the other hand if I also have a log of actions that this member has
taken, then I truely have a collection of rows (records) and columns (data
fields which probably grouped by type) which is best described by a table.

I'm tieing myself up in knots trying to explain this, but my gut feel is
that dl/dd/dt is cool for name/value pairs of *any* sort, even if you are
not defining a term.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Stanton