This email is to be read subject to the disclaimer below.

Taco,

The point is that we are working towards standards that the browsers can
implement and not a standard engine.

Take for example the hypothetical situation where mozilla dissappeared and
the only browser you had to code for was IE.  You would still be tearing
your hair our because the behaviour of IE has changed quite dramatically
between IE 5, 5.5 and 6, and that's ignoring IE for mac which is a whole
different kettle of fish.

Now if IE supported standards and things like transparent PNG's then we
would all have a much easier job.

Cheers,
Mark Lynch
Development Manager - Business Innovation Online
Ernst & Young - Australia
http://www.eyware.com/
http://www.eyonline.com/
Direct: +612 9248 4038
Fax: +612 9248 4073
Mobile: +61 421 050 695

                       "Taco Fleur"

                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                       com.au>                 cc:

                                               Subject: RE: [WSG] Browser Engine
Standard???  [Virus checkedAU]
                       11/12/2003

                       11:03 AM

                       Please respond

                       to wsg

-----------------
Unfortunately, while we do vaguely know what *most* of the
users use right now, we don't know at any point, for any
particular site, what those *specific* users are browsing with,
and what they will be browsing with in the future.
-----------------

Is it really still vague?
If we keep thinking like this, will we ever get a standard?

I realize years ago, it was crazy to say, "hey I will only code for Browser
X", because there was such a variety used out there. But lately it has been
quite obvious what the USERS are using (and once again let me stress out
that that does not mean I agree with what they are using) the two browsers
at the top are Internet Explorer and Mozilla, with Internet Explorer
Leading.
Cool, time to say bye bye to EVERY other browser that is not within this
range, i.e. the ones that only have a share of 5% or less percent. Let the
top two battle it out, i.e. let's see who the users will choose in the next
two years, after that, bye bye number 2. One browser left, and we can all
code for one browser (or engine/parser if they wised up and used the same
backend but different front-end) and we can all finally start using those
fancy features that we have stayed away from because they don't work in
every browser.

;-))
Taco

--------------------
NOTICE - This communication contains information which is confidential and
the copyright of Ernst & Young or a third party.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please delete
and destroy all copies and telephone Ernst & Young on 1800 655 717
immediately. If you are the intended recipient of this communication you
should not copy, disclose  or distribute this communication without the
authority of Ernst & Young.

Any views expressed in this Communication are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of
Ernst & Young.

Except as required at law, Ernst & Young does not represent, warrant and/or
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor
that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or
interference.

Liability limited by the Accountants Scheme, approved under the
Professional Standards Act 1994 (NSW)