> I'm not sure why the browser wars were so damn
> violent

Two words........

"Market Share"

The big companies realised, once the Internet started becoming popular
outside of Universities and large organisations, that the Browser was the
perfect conduit into people's homes (far moreso even than Television).

TV is a very passive medium.  As such, it is much harder to gain peoples
attention and concentration.  Most of us actually don't really concentrate
on what is happening on the TV even when we are sitting in front of it.
Even so, TV had a huge impact on marketting products to people.  Part of
the appeal was from the psychology of subliminal influence.

The web, however, is very different.  The person surfing is generally
engaged in the process 100%.  And psychology has come along again to tell
us that when people are very focussed on something that subliminal
messages can be even more effective.

So.....

THAT's why Browser manufacturers want to be THE one on your desktop and
why the Browser Wars still are in full swing.  Because if they can
dominate the marketplace then THEY are the ones in control of how you are
influenced (maybe) and can then charge other people (who want to influence
you) lots of money to use the "conduit".

This is why the browser technologies are "free".  Because you will end up
paying for them in the products that you buy.

Personally, I think this is a load of fetted dingoes kidneys (TM Douglas
Addams, HHGTTG).  And the Marketting arm of the Sirius Cybernetics
Corporation are just a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first
against the wall when the revolution comes!

Gary Menzel
Web Development Manager
IT Operations Brisbane -+- ABN AMRO Morgans Limited
Level 29, 123 Eagle Street BRISBANE QLD 4000
PH: 07 333 44 828  FX:  07 3834 0828

If this communication is not intended for you and you are not an authorised recipient
of this email you are prohibited by law from dealing with or relying on the email or
any file attachments. This prohibition includes reading, printing, copying,
re-transmitting, disseminating, storing or in any other way dealing or acting in
reliance on the information.  If you have received this email in error, we request you
contact ABN AMRO Morgans Limited immediately by returning the email to [EMAIL
PROTECTED] and destroy the original. We will refund any reasonable costs associated
with notifying ABN AMRO Morgans. This email is confidential and may contain privileged
client information. ABN AMRO Morgans has taken reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy
and integrity of all its communications, including electronic communications, but
accepts no liability for materials transmitted. Materials may also be transmitted
without the knowledge of ABN AMRO Morgans.  ABN AMRO Morgans Limited its directors and
employees do not accept liability for the results of any actions taken or not on the
basis of the information in this report. ABN AMRO Morgans Limited and its associates
hold or may hold securities in the companies/trusts mentioned herein.  Any
recommendation is made on the basis of our research of the investment and may not suit
the specific requirements of clients.  Assessments of suitability to an individual?s
portfolio can only be made after an examination of the particular client?s
investments, financial circumstances and requirements.