Thanks Stuart. The container is only necessary if you are trying to centre
content on the page within some sort of container - a container that you
want to specifically style. This could be to (1) define a fixed width for
the container, (2) to inset the container in from the edges of the viewport
in liquid layout style or even (3) simply to make the container have a
different background colour from the overall page.

If you were going to use the entire viewport, you would not need this
container at all.

In the "liquid layouts- the easy way" article , there is no container
needed:
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/liquid/

Finally, the layouts I have done are just some of the ways to do it. There
are literally hundreds of options. Always a good idea to shop around before
deciding what is right for your site needs. Try here, if you are shopping
around:
http://nemesis1.f2o.org/templates

Thanks
Russ

> Just read the 3 column fluid layout by Russ ( thanks Russ awesome stuff)
>
> I have a question.
>
> In the example Russ gives there is a "container" div that holds
> everything together
>

> what would happen if you did not use such a container?
>
> Such as

> The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/

Thanks
Russ