I can absolutely vouch for jEdit which I'm using to write PHP, HTML, CSS, SQL, etc ..., on Mac OS X 10.2.8 on a B/W G3, so a system already on the slow side. It's performance is somewhat slow (again on my already slow system) for some things e.g. for scrolling through a large document, but once you get to know the features and integrate the plugins available your speed increases in other ways. After using it I find features like folding (closing and expanding indented blocks of code like an outliner) seriously lacking in the Mac alternatives. You'll also find that features you miss from other editors are actually available in one form or another in jEdit.

There's a Mac OS X package at http://www.jedit.org/
The wiki http://community.jedit.org/cgi-bin/TWiki/view/Main/ is useful especially:
http://community.jedit.org/cgi-bin/TWiki/view/Main/PluginsOverview as a guide to recommended plugins.

http://www.rasterweb.net/raster/code/index.html also has a few nice things e.g. prepared html/xhtml templates, xhtml tags for the Clipper plugin, etc... also in in http://www.rasterweb.net/raster/code/src/jedit/

I'd recommend the following plugins:

Project Viewer
Templates
Clipper
XML Indenter
Includes Parser
...as just a phew

It also has macro features like a color picker, etc... phew, I could go on...

Also if you're doing any Actionscript 2 work this http://voisen.org/archives/mac_os_x/000366.php#more may interest you.

Nick

Universal Head wrote:
Can I ask what people use as their coding app? I'm demoing BBEdit but there are some things I find annoying about it. Sometimes I use GoLive in source view, and for CSS I'm using John's Style Master more and more. But are there any other good options? (I'm on a Mac).
JEdit I hear is also pretty good, one of the guys at sydphp gives it a thumbs up, but it is built using Java, so it may not be as responsive as BBEdit. It has a very very large range of plugins for tidying code, and has syntax highlighting and support for over 90 filetypes. It's also GPL so it's free, and you're allowed (actually encouraged) to contribute to it's development.

http://www.jedit.org/

Hope this isn't OT.
I think we are on the border.

|Adam Carmichael, A+, 2xMCP (Windows 2000), Cert IV Helpdesk Admin |
|[EMAIL PROTECTED] /( _,-----,_ )\ _| |_ /,|| |
|#1 Computer Services \`/ \'/ _| |_ || |
|BSD/UNIX Network Engineer \ /o\ /o\ / | | _||_ |