We don't have to agree at all, but here's my point.  A lot of users are
*not* dumb.  They realise that links aren't always underlined with blue
text.  They realise that buttons may not always look like what they're
used to -- this is good for you.

-------------------

Agreed, a lot of users are not dumb, so they also understand that its a button even
when on mouseover the cursor turns into a hand|pointer, so it would be more wise
(IMHO) to think about that % that is not so familiar with the web.

In your own oppinion, do you think a new internet user or inexperienced user would
understand that he can click the button when it turns into a hand|pointer or when the
cursor does nothing when moving over the button?

I have seen people style buttons so that they blend in with the whole desing, see
http://www.zeldman.com scroll to the bottom, see that button, if the cursor changed on
mouse-over it would have been much clearer that its a clickable object.
To me anyway.

-------------------

However, the majority (guess only) of webpages the user visits are
styled with default buttons.  Even if only 25% of sites are using
default buttons, it's still a SIGNIFICANT NUMBER more sites that your
ONE INTERFACE which is different.

-------------------

Not sure what your saying here?

-------------------

So they visit your site, with buttons that are styled differently -- no
matter how insignificant the task appears, the user still has to
*learn* your interface (and *remember* it) -- which is a task my
websites will not (generally) ask them to do too much of.

-------------------

Exactamento! A user always has to learn the interface, buttons can always be
different, so what IF the cursor ALWAYS turned into a hand|pointer how much quicker
will they understand your interface?

-------------------

You seem to be proposing a 'developer recommendation' (to be taken up
by some developers), whereas I'd much rather follow a 'w3
recommendation' (which all standards compliant browsers and developers
will follow).

Not proposing anything, just want to hear the opinion of other people on this matter,
see if there is a valid point that will make me think otherwise about my opinion ;-))
Just because I have an opinion doesn't mean its the right one - therefore I like to
debate it...

Sorry for the long post!

Justin French