Clients need to be informed of the benefits of standards and most will
see the value right away. However compromises on design and
functionality can offset the benefits quite quickly. The old saying "The
customers always right" seems to fit here.

Government departments are _mostly_ aware of standards especially the
accessibility guidelines, so they push for standards compliant sites. It
may eventually become mandatory for Governments.

In house here its becoming more important, some are more passionate
about it than others. It is frustrating when work travels up the work
flow and someone decides to bung in invalid markup, or maybe a
particular application framework doesn't yet support the markup
correctly.

If IE wasn't such a pain, then standards are really a "no brainer",
write once works everywhere, hmmm.... one day.. soon I hope..

Cheers
Chris Blown