Hi

It's important to make use of entities - they do have a special meaning in XML - e.g

<quotes source="smh">
&quot;It will be determined under Commonwealth environmental laws, the Commonwealth government will make the decision &amp; it voids state environmental laws,&quot; Mr Carr told reporters.
</quotes>

is valid

<quotes source="smh">
"It will be determined under Commonwealth environmental laws, the Commonwealth government will make the decision & it voids state environmental laws," Mr Carr told reporters.
</quotes>

is not valid as " and & have special meaning. Doing this would cause parsing errors.

Running your output through a special character function helps here (makes it all automatic). What's the position on whether it is better to store "entificated" characters in a date store (parse prior to input) or just parse the data prior to output for a User Agent?
To me it would seem better to parse user input so we store ' as &#039; and & as &amp; or &#038; (for e.g).

Those using PHP to do this should have a look at the following string functions in the PHP core :
http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.html-entity-decode.php
http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.get-html-translation-table.php
http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.htmlentities.php
http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.htmlspecialchars.php