I find this problem to be intriguing. My main client asked the very same thing about a year. Thankfully, the onus was on his internal staff making the diagrams, and for me to develop a template of sorts (or some sort of start-off tutorial for them).

My initial idea was to tutor them the basics of Fireworks. But, not only would this have been too advanced for them, the end result wouldn't exactly be a standards-based one (as if I cared 12 months ago anyway ;o) )

Anyway, they settled on SmartDraw. Not great, but did the job (actually, not great at all).

It would be simple enough to develop in CSS using absolute positioning, but this would only be good for the diagram itself, and perhaps not the rest of the page around it. And again, this would throw standards out the window.

I'd be willing to have a go where time permits (love a challenge).