>I'll probably need to check for the existence of "If-Modified-Since" in
>the request header then return the 304, so that it downloads the first
>time. Then requiring I actually respond with a correctly formatted
>"Last-Modifed".

Yes, by looking at the headers of the browsers request & then sending back
approriate ones using the header() function you should be able to have full
control over caching. Off the top of my head I'm not certain of exactly what
headers are involved each way (status, if-modified, last-modified, e-tag,
etc..) but the tools are there.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Stanton