There's lots of cool stuff in CSS 2, but the spec itself is broken, I can't
remember if it ever even became a W3C recomendation or not. CSS 2.1 is in
its final stages now and its specifically designed to fix the problems in
the CSS 2 spec.

In light of this - I don't think any browsers have actually made any sort of
real effort to completely support CSS 2.... yet.

So in short - forget CSS 2 - it died before it ever got off the ground. CSS
2.1 is where its at but assuming that it becomes a recommendation sometime
in the next few months - I doubt you will see any browser fully support it
within the next 12 months and you are looking at a number of years before
you see broad based support.

Another interesting point is that (AFAIK) screen readers have some of the
worst CSS support out of any of the browsers barring lynx (which doesn't
support CSS at all). I think most of the aural stuff in CSS is aimed a
screen readers and other audio agents (like voicemail services) & not your
common visual browsers.

On a kind of side topic there was a really interesting blog post a while
back where a guy had a chat to the IE dev teams and managed get them to take
feature requests via his blog. The requests are listed at:
http://scoblecomments.scripting.com/comments?u=1011&p=6183&link=http%3A%2F%2
Fradio.weblogs.com%2F0001011%2F2004%2F01%2F14.html%23a6183. Well worth a
read.

Mostly people asked for tabbed browsing, PNG support and CSS 2 support. The
most interesting comment in there is one from Tantek Celik. When Tantek
talks about CSS - its best to really listen very closely because he is at
the center of it all - he was formally in charge of CSS support in the
IE/Mac team and is now part of the CSS working group at the W3C.

Do a search for "tantek" & read his comment - there is lots of interesting
stuff in there.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Stanton