On another note related to names for div id's and classes, I'm
realising the value of having a core stylesheet and then separating
out styles for individual pages/templates and having these in seperate
stylesheets which can be downloaded only by the pages they are needed
on. I realised this once my stylesheet got to over 600 lines and I was
taking ages to find the items in it I was working on, and strange
things were happening with the cascade as things were being
"overwritten"!

Is this approach (multiple stylesheets) something others use on larger
sites with a lot of styling?

It's something I asked a few weeks back (for the same reasons, ridiculous line-lengths in CSS files). I ended up splitting the CSS files into sections of the site. Basically, where a section of the site exists where the user is likely to go between a closely related set of pages, those pages would share the same CSS file. For example, the site I am working on at present has a pseudo-user-control panel titled 'Control Centre'. Within this are five pages... My Details, PowerSearch, Local Info, and T-Mail. Therefore, I've generated a CSS file called ctrlCentre.css. Much easier (plus using a decent amount of commenting to indicate each page's section within the code). Seems to work well enough.

RKind regards
Martin Chapman

--

Web development, identity and design.