From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 03/10/04 04:29:58
To: Web Standards Group
Subject: Re: [WSG] Lists & weird
requirement

Frank,

I completely agree with Tonico.

Many people getting into web standards assume that it is based on removing
tables. This is incorrect. There are times and places for tables. However,
one of the main aims of web standards is to make your content more
accessible to devices and users. This means choosing the most appropriate
html elements for your content - not just for modern browsers but for all
devices.

In pure terms, using tables for positioning content on the page, or layout
is semantically incorrect as it is using the table element for something it
was not intended.

However, tables are designed for displaying tabular data. Even more
important, tables have a range of accessibility features that allow you to
make this tabular data accessible to a wide range of users. The most common
ones are:
"summary"
"caption"
"thead" and "tbody"
"id" and "headers"

There is also scope="col" and scope="row", but these are as well supported
by modern browsers (my opinion only).

The article I wrote on definition lists (linked to a few posts back)
includes an example of a definition list styled to look like a table. This
was simply to show how a simple definition list could be styled to look
radically different to the default list style. It was NOT trying to
encourage people to replace tabular data with definition lists.

So, how do you choose when to use a list, a definition list or a table?
Experience helps, but it also comes down to thinking through the purpose of
your content before you mark it up.

You should ask yourself questions like: "If I mark up this content, how will
this work in browsers without style sheets, text-based browsers, screen
readers? How will it look to Google? What is the best way I can display this
particular section of content so blind users can access it?"

If the content involves simple couplets of information, then a definition
list may be appropriate. If the content requires a series of columns related
to headings or is obviously tabular data, then tables are much more
appropriate.

A final note on the article that Tonico mentions:
(http://www.ferg.org/section508/accessible_tables.html#contents_item_5) is

It is an excellent read, but I would skip the section on "Visible
formatting". Some of the methods mentioned are semantically incorrect (use
additional table cells for visually indenting content) and the styling
examples could be written in much simpler and more powerful ways using
descendant selectors.

Russ