Justin,
You make a lot of very good points.

However, a lot depends on the layout you are doing. For many layouts, I
don't think this should be necessary.

I generally do not run into major IE problems, or at least problems that are
not well documented (3 pixel jpg, box model, double margin, carriage returns
etc), so testing IE as I go is not a problem. I think there are two reasons
for this:

1. I have the luxury of designing my own layouts, so I am often keeping
layout issues in mind during the design phase. The downside is that my
layouts are probably not pushed as far as some.

2. Before I start building a layout in CSS, I think carefully about how the
browsers will handle the various positioning methods - and which methods
will run into the least problems. Examples of this include choosing to pad
the content inside container to avoid box model issues and floating both
columns to avoid the 3 pixel jog bug. This means you should not run into as
many IE specific problems during the build.

Of the two points, this is probably the most critical in avoiding IE issues.

Having said that, I can see that in specific cases (if experiencing major IE
issues) this would be a good alternative. And sharing a completely different
methodology is also great, as it provides everyone with a wider range of
alternatives. Viva la difference (or words to that effect)!
 :)
Russ