I am far from an expert yet, but your display issues are very similar to what I got the first time around using CSS – I discovered IDs rather than classes fro layers provides more precision.

Also, you might want to try dropping the <p></p> and running block level text.

Brian

From: John Penlington [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 9:08 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [WSG] Somewhat frustrated

Forgive my frustration, but after a couple of months with this Discussion List I've formed the opinion no browser will display web standards - every one of them requires hacks of some kind.

I test on Win XP Pro with IE6 and Firefox - as well as on a new eMac with Safari and IE5(Mac).

All my earlier web sites with tables rather than CSS 2 display quite well on all four browsers.

When I try to code for Web Standards, I get a medley of results. Hence my opinion that no browser complies completely.

Now the crunch: I'm building a site for a photographer who wants pixel-precision layout on all browsers. At least we achieved it on IE6 with no tables, just CSS styling.

I'm aware that I shouldn't have done that, but please read on.

After two weeks of frustration trying to get it to work precisely on the other browsers, I've finally resorted to tables and yes, wicked me, even a spacer gif.

The home page (with inactive links) is at:

and the CSS is at:

The display my client wants is exactly what you'll see with IE6.

What he doesn't want is what you'll see on Safari, Firefox and IE5(Mac).

The page validates for both XHTML 1.0 Transitional and CSS. Even the Unordered List menu breaks on IE5(Mac).

Can anyone tell me why my valid (XHTML and CSS) page displays so differently in those four browsers - two of which are supposed to follow Web Standards closely (Firefox and Safari)?

Where is my code sub-standard if it validates for both XHTML and CSS?

What do I need to do to get it to display roughly the same on all four browsers?  Please don't tell me to use CSS 2 - I tried that and it simply didn't work !! The variations were unacceptable despite all the hacks I could find.

I know I'll be shot down in flames for raising this, but I really want to code for Web Standards and the frustration for me and my client is very real !!

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I'm keen to persevere.

Thanks to you all for such a helpful List.

John Penlington

web developer