Patrick -  A practical example which will serve to illustrate my point.

Go to the Microsoft.com site, and decide whether to install any update.
(Choose any of them, they're all just as bad as each other.)  In order to
install this update, you have to have this other update installed. Oh... do
I have that installed?  Better click on that link to read what it was about.
Nope. Never heard of that one.   But before I can install that update, I
have to have this other one installed.  Have I got that one installed? Who
the hell knows.  Better click on this link to find out what this previous
update was all about.  But there are implications with installing that
update, because there's a link to read this before installing this update.
Click on that link.  Now where are you?  Can you install that first update
or not?

Navigating anywhere in Microsoft's site is a nightmare.  You go down a maze
of links until its almost impossible to work your way back where you came
from.

You mention the 'back' button.  What about alt-tab?  I use that far more
than 'back'.

The issue is not as clear-cut as you seem to say.  I'm not saying my way is
the 'right' way and others are 'wrong'.  Just that it's like most things on
the web- there are several ways  to do anything and pros and cons for each.

In my case, I get someone into my site, and I don't want to see them heading
off again by just clicking on a tool my site gives them to leave.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks