Hey everyone, I've been reading this list for a couple weeks and this is my first time posting. I've got a question about something I've been working on recently. I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause, but I might as well ask.

I recently converted a directory lister script from using <table> tags to using CSS styled tables (display:table), and I've noticed that there is no provision for a colspan attribute. This makes sense, because tables are for displaying tabular data and not for fancy headers, but I want to do it anyway. Basically I want to make the first cell (that displays the path) maintain the entire table's width without effecting the other columns' width as it does in the <table> version. Note, I have a user agent switch, since CSS tables don't work with IE, for displaying the old <table>s or the new display:tables accordingly. Here's an example: http://eastsdomain.com/test/ .

Thanks!

-Noa