Hey all. Just recently I had the idea that making the decision to go EITHER XHTML or HTML (serving strictly the proper MIME types with each) isn't necessary, since well formed XHTML is ALSO well formed HTML. With a miminmal amount of PHP effort this is possible, and I have done it on my personal website, and written about it here: http://eastsdomain.com/43 . The site is valid HTML 4.01 strict to IE, and valid XHTML 1.1 to browsers that accept the application/xhtml+xml MIME type. Note the site displays identically in both IE and Firefox, K-Meleon. I haven't tested it in Opera.

-Noa

russ weakley writes:

Anne talks about serving correct mime types, XHTML vs HTML and the pursuit of perfect markup:
http://webstandardsgroup.org/features/anne-van-kesteren.cfm

Russ