> The short answer is that if you want to support IE5 and IE5.5 (which are
> both still very popular browsers) then one method you could use is to wrap
> your image in a container and use text-align: center;

Okay, got that one nailed down now, I think.  ;-)

> To your other question...
> [snip]
> A bit brain-dead tonight so I hope that doesnąt confuse the issue even more
> for you :)

Not at all, Russ.  Although you highlighted a number of extra
considerations, you also provided an answer: obviously backwards
compatibility and clean code are NOT mutually exclusive. Sometimes fussy,
perhaps, but not mutually exclusive.  Some inevitable compromises, perhaps,
but no radical departures from semantically sound code.

So you directly addressed my concern. Here I am trying to learn "good html
and css," and I keep hearing about hackish compromises for older browsers,
and I was feeling worried that I might have to start learning intensively in
two directions at once: one learning curve for future-proofing, and one
learning curve for backwards compatibility!  But it sounds like I can focus
on the former, and make just a few accomodations for the latter.  That's
reassuring.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprising to discover that "good, clean" css code
makes it generally easier to be backwards compatible.  On the other hand, if
you are a design control freak, and write elaborate and envelope-pushing css
trying to get exactly the look you want in the new browser, I'll bet it gets
a lot harder to make your pages look like anything at all in the old ones!

Paul

p.s. Entirely by coincidence, Russ, I spent the hour between my question and
your reply reading Floatutorials and Listutorials at your website.  Made the
connection between you and there just a moment ago.  What are the odds?  ;-)
Small web...