Do we have an expert on alternate stylesheets in the house?

I'm a little confused.

What I'd like to do is link or @import a few base style sheets for the general (default) site design first. Then on top of that I'd like to link to a series of alternate style sheets that ADD TO those base styles.

Seems easy enough, and the code on http://www.simplebits.com/ seems like a good starting place, but when I look at his alternate style sheets, they're not *alternate*, they're *alternate additional*, in other words, the alternate style sheets act as a group of alternatives (of which 0-1 can be selected) which will be applied *in addition to* the base style sheet.

Is this a reasonable summary?  Can someone provide a clearer definition?

To add to the confusion, I'm hoping to tie this all into a PHP session and membership preferences, but that's another story all together :)

---
Justin French
http://indent.com.au