> Don't get suckered into the myth that standards based web sites can't look
as
> good as old-school tag soup sites. That's what people who can't be
bothered
> learning something new use as an argument.

Quite true but they dont have the interactivity as flash does. flash isnt
good for hte main actual site, but most are including an interactive version
of the site for those kinds of people.

> I maintain that the actual web sites you produce should not look any
different
> just because you are using standards. Until someone views source (or tries
> browser other than IE or uses a screen reader etc), no one should know
what
> you've done.
Yes, flash does have it advantages, but most of the TOP high premium
websiets that you can buy today area all XHTML/CSS. Very few using flash.
Many of the other XHTML CSS websites are pinicles of webdesign today. A List
Apart & Zeldman proove this. There websites are what people should be trying
to achieve. Although they do admit flash is good in ceritan areas. Vincent
Flanders even said it one time, he makes the point that flash is to be used
in areas where it isnt a problem to use it & used right it is quite
effective.

> When I started getting our team to start coding to the standards, I didn't
> even mention it to the designers - I got the coders to change the way they
> were creating the sites.  The graphic designers are still producing the
same
> kinds of things that they did before.

I know of many graphic designers who have attempted to literally build there
sites in Photoshop - fairly good sites- 500px wide and a good length long.
But then again i also know of webcoders/designers who dont know crap and get
into the industry www.taupowebdesigners.co.nz (i dont know here i just
offered to help her and got slammed back.) - many webdesigners arent
openminded to go standards compliant aswell - good reminder...
Graphics designers have to know the coding side, the coding is restrictive
to what a designer is able to do for a website. If he builds a site that is
almost impossible to code or is far to complicated, no point.
Its good to have Graphic designers who know the coding limitations &
understand there is a limit.

In the end, Photoshop was never published to build sites, Dreamweaver was.
Sadly MANY graphic designers never actually catch on to that concept and get
into the webdesign industry missing the graphic/media design industry.

Although thats good - although i would have got atleast one standards
compliant coder to help upskill the others. most webdesign agencies expect
the coders to upskill while in the middle of coding all of this work.
It took me almost a year before i became standards compliant - and then i
was a bit sketchy. I did it bymyself.

Camz.
www.t94xr.net.nz