7 sinz, If you noticed, I wasn't using tables
http://www.english-sofas.co.uk/els_new/value_leather_sofas_0.htm. The
challenge was to incorporate fluid and centred linear lists. The presented
solution doesn't actually satisfy the requirement but does so for the client
(who loved the site then mentioned centred product ranges). Good enough for
me at the moment.

What I was missing was the fudge to give a 25%-ish value to the image
block -- thus causing it to stretch and centre, but effectively limiting the
display to 4 images per row.

Good fudge, though.

But let me state again:-

I am looking for a standard structure, a list (ul, li ...) which holds
images and associated captions centred in a fluid container.

e.g. -

<-- [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] ... ->
<-- [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] ... ->
<--       [img] [img] [img]           ->

Any takers?

Mike Pepper
Accessible Web Developer
www.seowebsitepromotion.com