Mark:

Mac OSX comes with a prog called Mail (known as Apple Mail), then there's, I guess, Entourage for MS Office users, Outlook Express, Eudora - and others.

I use Mail - which by logic should use the Safari engine for rendering HTML - but I've had similar problems with unwanted white space in my messages as rendered by Mail. The bad news is, I gave up on trying to fix it, and loosened the layout to compensate - not an option in your case, I can see. One hint, though - my problem had to do with table cells as well, and I've an idea that it has something to do with font sizes and baselines, even if there's no text in the cell.

Mind you, I wasn't using pure CSS for the layout; I stick with traditional bloated HTML for maximum compatibility. My main concern is the browser-based mail clients - Hotmail et al - that do horrible things to CSS-based emails.

See article on A List Apart <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssemail/> for more info...

BTW, your mockup renders fine in Safari 1.0.2 and IE5.2.2 (on OSX 10.2.8). Let me know direct if you want screenshots.

G'luck!

Nick
Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/