Patrick Lauke wrote:

Tested with JAWS 4.02, and yes, it reads it as "search".
That's not to say, though, that all screenreaders behave this way...
Let me guess...underlines for accesskeys ?

That's the fella

One thing that worries me about doing those sorts of things is that
the result is very...non semantic. Not sure how, say, search
engines would react to seeing Words broken up like that. Would
they still index the word itself, or would they see an "S" and
"earch"? (sure, in this case it doesn't make a difference, but
I'm thinking in more general terms, e.g. headings using an image
as an ornate initial or something - search engines would presumably
not recognise the designer's intention - why should they? - and
not see the word as a whole).

Patrick

I agree with you. It's not the nicest way of doing this. I think using the :first-letter pseudo-element selector would probably be a better bet.

Andy Budd

http://www.message.uk.com/