Patrick Griffiths wrote:

I think what would be better than individuals switching would be for
computer manufacturers to pre-install Mozilla or Opera on PC's.

It would be nice if Opera would do this. I don't see it as a possibility with Mozilla for a very simple reason: money. Another possibility, probably the most likely, though still somewhat unlikely, is to start to see corporate level switches.

which is why there's still a sizeable market share using IE 5

...which is why I'm not holding my breath.