Kyle Barrow wrote:

OMTP is a new standards body attempting to promote open standards amongst mobile manufacturers.

With the messy state of Web standards compliance on mobiles, an organisation like this is long overdue although I noticed NTT DoCoMo is a member which is rather like inviting Hannibal Lector for vegetarian.

Their Web site (http://www.omtp.org/) was up earlier today but appears to have been replaced with the ubiquitous "hello world" message; somewhat embarrassing for an organisation with 100,000 Euro membership fees.

I just tried it and it was up, but it was probably better when they weren't.

Part of their "strategy" is "Participate actively in the standards setting process relevant to the technologies satisfying appropriate industry standards". They should start with their own site.

From a Web standards perspective the site looks like bad news. Multi-table layout, Flash navigation, image map navigation, font tags, and fails HTML 4.01 Transitional (besides the embed tag).

You would think, an organization focused on mobile users would at least have a Web site which mobile users could use.