Geoff Deering wrote:

Yes, correct for XHTML1.x, but I can't see it in your reference to http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-inline-text.html#sec_9.12. All the font style elements have been removed in XHTML2.

The reference was in regards to sub and sup which currently are valid XHTML2 without any signs to the contrary.

It is better practice to stop using such elements, especially when there are other elements that serve the same purpose, but are more semantically correct and accessible

I agree with the exception of sub and sup which I agree with the draft in that they have semantic value.

You can code your XHTML1.x to be compatible with XHTML2, which when it becomes a recommendation and supported, will mean minimum maintenance by oneself and reap the benefits of future and backward compatibility.

Agreed, but I not sure why you would need to switch. As I see it, the worst that will happen is that a future browser won't have a default style for b and i.

I often have trouble dealing with the inconsistency of the various W3C specifications, as the W3C does itself. I tend to focus more on the WAI specifications because they (to me) are more refined in this area, and teach on better practices.

Except the main topic is validity; accessibility is only secondary.

It amazes me that this type of thing has been kept in when there is there is such a strong movement towards semantic and separating structure and presentation.

IIRC, it was felt that b and i had some semantic value. I disagree. A similar discussion is now taking place in regards to br and hn. Personally, as I see it, the difference between l and br is one of focus: What's important, that the preceding and following text should be viewed as distinct lines, or gut not the same line. It's a subtle difference, but a difference none the less.