It's the shorthand version of the various font attributes, and you can
pile several font properties into it (in the following order):
font-style
font-variant
font-weight
font-size/line-height
font-family

As usual, you can find all the CSS details at the w3 site:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#font-shorthand