There is a good web page that discusses the radical re-styling of form objects:
http://www.picment.com/articles/css/funwithforms/

>From a pc standpoint, this form looks inviting but funky.  From a Mac perspective, it
>looks pretty normal.
I do find it a bit offsetting and don't think I'd use it on a vanilla web site.  It
would be great for more creative sites.

I have used some of his concepts for other forms.

Ted
www.superiorpixels.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Deering [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 3:38 PM
To: WebStandardsGroup
Subject: [WSG] Styling of Web Forms

Hi,

I'd like to ask others opinions about the issue of adding your own styles
for web forms.  It was something I would do years ago to both enhance the
presence of web form elements, and also give them a style associated with
the design of the site.

In the last few years I have gone away from this view and have decided to
leave form elements in their native look and feel, purely for usability
reasons.  The reason or assumption being that form elements look different
on every operating system, as they are a native component drawn by the
operating system themselves.  So my guess is that users can most easily
identify them in their native format as that is the form the would most
likely see them in the most.

In Microsoft's "The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design", the
sunken design of form fields is done to clearly identify them on the screen,
but this seems to have been abandoned in XP (it's something I don't agree
with, but I leave it as it is).  I doubt if this was a well informed
decision, because they certainly were not thinking of the issue of the
combination of bright primary colours, red and blue, especially on people
with aging eye sight (see http://www.charlesriver.com/titles/webuse.html
p102).

Just interested in others approach on this issue.

Regards
Geoff Deering