Cameron,

Your problem is the "clear" you are using for #content1. Mac IE 5 wrongly clears floats inside clearing block elements, and you can't fix it with "clear:none;".

The easy way to solve it (and to avoid any problems you may encounter by not deploying the float under your navigation bar) is to add a standalone clearer to your HTML. It may need to be a full div. Not ideal, but it does the trick. (I see you have done something similar anyway, further down in your HTML.)

BTW, I didn't investigate the interplay of the main.css vs the ie5.css, but I had to remove the clearer for #content1 in both stylesheets for this to work for me.

For more info, see http://www.macedition.com/cb/ie5macbugs/#floatclearbug , as well as the entry it links to from Philippe Wittenbergh.

-Hugh Todd

This page:

http://www.webpublishing.com.au/dev/dsto/project.htm

works fine in everything (Win IE 5+, FF, Opera,
Safari) EXCEPT Mac IE 5.

It has a problem with 2 floats: the major float of the
sidebar, and also the float of the image in the main
content. It seems to clear them, though there's no
such rule.

The file containing the structural layout is:

http://www.webpublishing.com.au/dev/dsto/css/main.css

But I'm serving up different styles for Mac IE using:

http://www.webpublishing.com.au/dev/dsto/css/macIE5.css