Hi Chris,

I just did a quick test using Ethereal <http://ethereal.com/>, and it
looks like the browser requests the server's certificate, then
encrypts the data that it is sending.

Using Firefox 0.9.3 & Internet Explorer 6.

Of course, if you're intending to put this into practice somewhere,
I'd suggest a bit more testing :)

As for your next question, I don't think it's possible to send
cleartext over HTTPS at all. (mind you, I'm not the worlds greatest
authority on HTTPS, so I might be wrong :p)

--
Lindsay Evans
http://lindsayevans.com/

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
 Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004