On Friday, Aug 13, 2004, at 09:59 Australia/Sydney, Edd Hale wrote:

I am new to CSS and I am not sure if the image size (width and height) should appear in the HTML or be handled by CSS. Thank you.
Edd

Aside from the validity/informational/decorative issues, the inclusion of width and height attributes allows the browser to lay out the page in its final form the first time it renders the code. If width and height are not declared either inline or in the external CSS file, the browser will render a very small 'placeholder' for the image/s as it first renders the page, then rewrite the page with each image that is downloaded and added, causing the content to jump around.

Whether this jumpy rewriting is acceptable to you for your visitors' experience of your site is a personal decision. Myself, I like to specify all widths and heights - either for images themselves or for their containing elements - so the page is drawn 'correctly' first time, with full-sized 'placeholders' for images (even if they're just holes in the layout) that are filled as images download.

My 2c.

Nick
Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004