Chris,
After our discussion last week on the Valid Flash state of play, I used Ian
Hix's method: http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1081798064&count=1 to place Flash
files on our site http://www.alucida.com/software/sw_wsDemo_01.html (links
to Flash files in pop-up windows at the bottom of the page).
This doesn't use the deprecated <embed> which may be causing problems (?)
for you.

That said, your problem sounds like the problems Drew McLellan's Flash Satay
method http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/ has, as discussed at
length on ALA and sumarised by Jeffrey Zeldman in Designing With Web
Standards (p294). Apparently *sometimes* there's a bug with some browsers
(including IE/Windows 5, 5.5 and 6 and Mozilla in Linux) not properly
handling the <object> element and displaying only a white box.
This put me off using Hix's method, but I tried it with as many browsers as
I could lay my hands on--IE6/Win, Safari 1.0.3, IE5.2/Mac, Opera 7.5(Win and
Mac), Firefox 0.9.3 (Win and Mac) and Camino 0.8 -- and it seems to work,
but then, so does yours:)

OK so that's probably not that helpful. I'll go away now.
David McKinnon
www.alucida.com

PS: If anyone has any trobles seeing the flash at
http://www.alucida.com/software/sw_wsDemo_01.html please let me know.
PPS: I know there's a couple of clean-ups to do to get everything to display
right in Mac browsers, I'll get to that in a minute. Just as soon as I
finish this email... And one or two other things...
;)