From: Nancy Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:43:15 -0400
Subject: [WSG] Table within a div tag and IE
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear WSG,

I'm sure this has been talked about before:

I'm about to make live a master calendar for our organization. I've
set it up so there are data tables within a div tag. The tables are
set at a width of 75% and I did not put anything for a width with the
"td" tags.

The page looks great in IE, if I give the table a width of 75%.  If I
give the table a width of 100%, the right side goes off the page. IE
doesn't seem to page attention to the right margin within the div tag.

Within Netscape or Firefox, 75% width seems to mean 75% of the div
tag, so the table appears truncated.  These do better if I give the
table a width of 100%.

Changing the right hand margin of the div tag doesn't seem to help.

Unfortunately, this page is not live so I cannot give you a link.

Details below:

The remaining rows access data from a SQL Server database.

'bodytext4a' is for formatting text.  Dreamweaver automatically adds
it to the <td>

I did not use the 'th' tags

The CSS Style Sheet came from an online template that I have modified
over time.

The table is located within a div tag entitled "middle"

Here is the CSS:

#middle {

            margin: 10px 160px 20px 165px;

            padding: 20px;

            border: 0px none #000080;

            background: #ffffff;

            }

There is also a left id to this as follows:

#left {

            position: absolute;

            top: 185px;

            left: 10px;

            margin: 5px;

            padding: 5px;

            border: thin solid #999900;

            width: 150px;

            voice-family: "\"}\"";

            voice-family:inherit;

            background: #FFFFCC;

            }

html>body #left {

            width: 150px;

            margin: 5px;

            padding: 5px;

border: thin solid #999900;

            }

Thanks,

Nancy

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
 Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004