Thanks for taking the time to do that but since I'm not using xhtml 1.0 strict I actually wasn't having a problem. I was merely noting, for the sake of those looking at strict, the depreciation of an ol attribute "start" that seemed to have as much to do with document structure as presentation.

Nick

Nick Lo wrote:

COASTAL DEVELOPMENT
4. Mayor Casts Doubt Over Magnetic Is Report (Great Barrier Reef)
5. Hope for Maldives Rises from the Sea (Maldives)

...and looking at the how of doing that; <ol start="4">

I came up with something. While it's not perfect, it works.

li{
   margin : 1em 0 0 2em;
   padding : 0;
}
li.header {
  position : relative;
  margin-top : 2em;
}
li h3 {
  font-size : 100%;
  position : absolute;
  top : -1.5em;
  left : -2em;
  margin : 0;
}

<ol>
  <li class="header"><h3>one</h3>a</li>
  <li>b</li>
  <li>c</li>
  <li>d</li>
  <li>e</li>
  <li class="header"><h3>six</h3>f</li>
  <li>g</li>
  <li>h</li>
  <li class="header"><h3>nine</h3>i</li>
</ol>

Of course, a <span> could be used instead of the <h3>.

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/