My understanding is that while IE Win supports the display of PNG files, it
doesn't support any of their transparency features. If you want to use
transparency for images in a cross-browser safe way, GIF is really your only
option. I wouldn't be holding my breath for IE to catch up either ...

Cheers,
Kevin Futter