I think you are correct in your assessment that opening a new window is a behavior of the UA, and therefore (arguably) should not be included in the DTD that describes the structure of a document.

Having said all that Chris's solution of having extended and published the DTD is perfectly acceptable.

I personally think opening windows should be handled via javascript where it is possible to test for the existence of such behavior. A good UA will then determine what cause of action to take based on it's own configuration - such as we have with Firefox.

In this case it is perfectly acceptable to mark up your document with something along the lines of:

and attach a behavior script to open a new window for links marked up with the rel attribute. This approach to markup is valid with the W3C published DTD's, although the values "external" and "supplementary" for the rel attribute are not described.

./tdw