Lobbying who? MS has shown itself to be singularly un-interested in standards, esp with the whole Avalon thing with Longhorn. Moz & co have produced a browser (or a few actually) which mostly supports web standards and have made a commitment to improving their support of those standards. I would have thought that promoting the use of standards-based software would be a good thing. Certainly not just promoting FF, but there are a number of alternatives to IE that are largely standards compliant. The more people that use them, the more standards will matter. That's what it does for web standards. Also, while most people will use IE, if enough corporations start to switch, it's just possible that MS may take notice.

Individuals, or even developer lobby groups calling for better IE development will really not get much of a responce. Mozilla now has ~ 5% market share (depending on what metric you use), and I know of a large number of unis that now use it almost exclusively. That's breeding a whole generation of people who know there's a standards-based alternative. This is a good thing for web standards.

Glenn

Jonothan Stribling wrote:

Whilst Firefox may be a bloody good browser, shouldn't the WSG list be
more about lobbying for a range of browsers that are Web Standards
friendly.

IE may cause most web developers committed to standards to pull their
hair out but the fact is it is still used by the majority of interner
users and unless MS totally disappears this is likely to continue.

I find the whole "smash IE" and support firefox thing a total waste of
energy. What does this really do for web standards?

Jonothan