If its a quote like your example, use <blockquote></blockquote>

Neerav Bhatt
http://www.bhatt.id.au
Web Development & IT consultancy

http://www.bhatt.id.au/blog/ - Ramblings Thoughts
http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/neerav

Joshua Street wrote:
What's the recommended practice with indentation?

You can use CSS to indent text with padding and whatever else, but
that's a pain if you have a sitewide CSS file, and the text to be
indented doesn't sit in any defining container

---
Example 1:

âJust the place for a Snark!â the Bellman cried,
        As he landed his crew with care;
Supporting each man on the top of the tide
        By a finger entwined in his hair.

may be marked up as a single paragraph (as it corresponds to a single
stanza of a poem -- in this case, the first stanza of Louis Carroll's
"The Hunting of the Snark", just for a random example.) as follows:

        As he landed his crew with care;<br />
Supporting each man on the top of the tide<br />
        By a finger entwined in his hair.</p>
---

As line break tags "<br />" are self-closing elements, I don't *think*
it is possible to style with them (e.g. to indent the relevant lines) --
and, even if it were, it would be an ugly solution (assuming I'm even
thinking along the right lines, and that it would work at all):

---
Example 2:

        As he landed his crew with care;<br />
Supporting each man on the top of the tide<br class="indent" />
        By a finger entwined in his hair.</p>
---

Assuming the style would apply to the following, and not preceding,
line. This example is untested, and would most likely not work at all. I'm just thinking out loud.

One potential solution (albeit a hideous and bloated one) is simply to
use repeated non-breaking space characters:

---
Example 3:

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As he landed his crew with care;<br />
Supporting each man on the top of the tide<br />
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;By a finger entwined in his hair.</p>
---

but that, of course, probably isn't the most desirable solution.

In terms of light markup (but of dubious semantic appropriateness), I've
seen definition lists employed to this end quite effectively:

---
Example 4:

<dl>
        <dd>âJust the place for a Snark!â the Bellman cried,
                <dl>
                        <dd>As he landed his crew with care;</dd>
                </dl>
        </dd>
        <dd>Supporting each man on the top of the tide
                <dl>
                        <dd>By a finger entwined in his hair.</dd>
                </dl>
        </dd>
</dl>

This renders without any problems in visual user agents without styling
required, and is apparently valid XHTML -- but it seems dubious to me. It appears structurally better, at least to me (my eyes follow the
markup flow more easily than the other examples above), but that doesn't
deal with the issue of semantics.

Is it okay to have untitled definitions?  Is it okay to use definition
lists like this at all?  Or, better still, does someone have another
solution which I've missed completely?

Thanks in advance,

Joshua Street

base10solutions

Website:
http://www.base10solutions.com/
Phone: (02) 9898-0060
Fax: (02) 8572-6021
Mobile: 0425 808 469

E-mails and any attachments sent from base10solutions are to be regarded
as confidential. Please do not distribute or publish any of the contents
of this e-mail without the senderâs consent. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to the e-mail, and
then delete the message without making copies or using it in any way.

Although base10solutions takes precautions to ensure that e-mail sent
from our accounts are free of viruses, we encourage recipients to
undertake their own virus scan on each e-mail before opening, as
base10solutions accepts no responsibility for loss or damage caused by
the contents of this e-mail.