From: Patrick Lauke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 28 October 2004 15:08
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [WSG] WE04 Summary (blowing my own trumpet)

> From: Nancy Johnson
>1. Where can I find a good example of how forms should be laid out  for
>accessibility.

Two decent ones:

http://www.webaim.org/techniques/forms/
http://www.accessify.com/tutorials/better-accessible-forms.asp

>2. Comment on div tags. If we are not suppose to use tables for  layout
>and div tags are supposed to be used with restraint.  What  other
>options with layout are there?

What other options do you need? A lot of people switching from table based to
tableless end up wrapping all sorts of things in divs (and assigning hundreds of
classes, rather than taking advantage of all other types of selectors, and overusing
spans) when it's not necessary. For instance: a lot of elements are already block
containers by default, so there's no point in wrapping them up in an extra div to
float them or position them.

e.g. instead of something like this

    <ul>
        <li>...</li>
        <li>...</li>
        <li>...</li>
    </ul>

you can just do

<ul id="navigation">
    <li>...</li>
    <li>...</li>
    <li>...</li>
</ul>

And even if elements are not block level by nature, they can be forced to display as
such with "display: block" in CSS.

Hmm...just seen that Aaron already replied while I was still typing, pretty much
saying the same thing...but what the heck, I've wrote this much, I'm going to send it
anyway ;)

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford