Hi Damian,
I misunderstood what you meant when you wrote:
>In a page where there is only one form and one semantically linked
>>set of form controls is a fieldset necessary/desirable?

I didn't realize that you will still referring to your example, I thought
you meant a simple form such as a text label + input + submit. I now
understand and think that the use of a list in you form is appropriate.

>Also, I would have thought that modern screen readers would be able
>to group radio and checkbox groups based on name attributes. Is this
>not the case?

from what i have read they do not group controls in this way.
The info here: The HTML Forms Challenge
[http://www.freedomscientific.com/HTML_challenge/files/forms_challenge.html]
may be helpful for better understanding how a screen reader (JAWS)
interacts with forms.

with regards

Steven Faulkner
Web Accessibility Consultant
National Information & Library Service (NILS)
454 Glenferrie Road
Kooyong Victoria 3144
Phone: (613) 9864 9281
Fax: (613) 9864 9210
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

National Information Library Service
A subsidiary of RBS.RVIB.VAF Ltd.

                      Damian Sweeney

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      .edu.au>                 cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: [WSG] Help with fieldset
in a li
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      group.org

                      29/10/2004 12:20

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      wsg

>  >In a page where there is only one form and one semantically linked
>>set of form controls is a fieldset necessary/desirable?
>
>I think while desirable it is not necessary, unless you have a radio
button
>or checkbox group.
>But why not use the fieldset element to structure the form  instead of
>putting in a div or some other container? remeber the legend is optional.

The main reason for using an <ol> is that this is a well-established
convention for questionnaires and helps to structure the feedback for

Also, I would have thought that modern screen readers would be able
to group radio and checkbox groups based on name attributes. Is this
not the case?

Anyway, based on the responses I'm currently thinking I'll do things this
way:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~damianfs/sample2.html

where the fieldset only encloses the radio buttons in a group. This
fixes the positioning problem for the list items in Firefox and IE
and seems semantically sound to me. No legends are used.

Thanks again for the excellent responses,

Damian

--
Damian Sweeney
Instructional Designer, AIRport Project

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or
information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of
copyright. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of any part of
it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any
attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this
email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return
email or by phoning (03) 8344 9370.