>So the ability to have the titles of links read out by screenreaders
>can be influenced by a setting?

>Relying on that setting is dangerous, don't you think? If the users
>have the reading of title attributes turned off, they won't hear any
>difference between the links. In fact, no users of screenreaders I have
>met so far could hear the title attributes.

Good point Andreas, that is why i think that title attributes should be
used with caution, if the text is important don't put it in the title
attribute.
plain text is best.

Also remember that title attributes are device dependent, keyboard users
cannot access them.

A reasonable way around the issue is what they do on the age/sydney morning
herald
They have the heading as a link and and also a "more" link (both point to
the full text of the article)

Example:
Police arrest possible sex attacker
[11:30am] A Sydney rail commuter believes he saw someone resembling the
identikit picture of a serial sex attacker. more

it would be better if the more link had a title attribute, but the main
point is that   screen reader users have at least one clearly stated link
to the article.

In reference to to title content:
I think it is better to have repeated  words such as "more" or "full text"
at the end of the title text rather than the beginning
Examples:
america has spoken - full text
police arrest sex attacker -full text

As when read out of context the important and defining information is
"frontloaded" and allows easier identification of a particular link with a
list of links.

with regards

Steven Faulkner
Web Accessibility Consultant
National Information & Library Service (NILS)
454 Glenferrie Road
Kooyong Victoria 3144
Phone: (613) 9864 9281
Fax: (613) 9864 9210