From: "Patrick H. Lauke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] discussion at juicy studio: It's all in the MIME

Richard Czeiger wrote:
> According to W3C, 'application/xhtml+xml' is the MIME type to use.
> I've put it pages and seen it not only validate, but also display
correctly
> in IE5.0 and IE6.

If IE displayed the page, rather than prompt you to download/save the
file, then you're *not* really sending it as application/xhtml+xml.

Taking a stab in the dark, I'd guess that all you did was change the
"content type" meta to it. Well...that's not the way to do it. Your
*server* needs to be configured to send out proper
application/xhtml+xml, or - if you're using something like PHP
server-side - you need to send the appropriate headers. If all you did
was indeed just change the meta, your server is happily still sending
out your page as text/html, and that's why IE is displaying it.

If you have Firefox, simply go to the page in question and do "Tools >
Page Info". On the resulting window, look for "Type". You're more likely
seeing "text/html" there, indicating that it's not "application/xhtml+xml"

Oldie but goldie on the subject:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/03/19/dive-into-xml.html

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com