Like many Internet technologies it can be difficult, if not impossible, to
go to a "standard", particularly video which has matured enormously.

If you have the resources to offer video in multiple formats (Real, Windows
Media, Flash, etc) good for you (and nothing derogatory meant by that).

I think Macromedia's Flash product has a lot going for it, particularly in
the "player penetration" stakes. Anything that can make both publishing and
viewing video content on the web can only be a good thing (unless it is more
pr0n).

The improvements MM made to Flash Player 7 (Macromedia Breeze, Flash
Communication Server and Flash itself all benefited) are obvious. And the
best is to come and all your audience need is the almost universally
installed Flash Player - albeit newer and newer versions.

But compared to how some of the "players" take over your system - Real in
particular - Flash is an affordable compromise and generally cross platform
compatible (Mobile devices will take a few years to catch up I think).

If you can avoid being penned into a solution, particular when authoring
video, there are many solutions that provide the provision of that video on
the web.

Peter Tilbrook
ColdGen Internet Solutions
Manager, ACT and Region ColdFusion Users Group
4/73 Tharwa Road
Queanbeyan, NSW, 2620
AUSTRALIA

     WWW 1: http://www.coldgen.com/