Todd, no disagreement on leaving the back button to users but at the present
time we needed a quick fix beings our site went live two days ago and it
averages roughly 50,000 hits per day. We will work on a better solution next
month but for now this might do the trick

<form name="_mine">
        <input name="_a1" value="1" style="visibility:hidden">
</form>
<script language="JavaScript">
var x="1";
var isBack;
function handleBackButton()
{
        isBack = (x != document._mine._a1.value);
        document._mine._a1.value=2;
        document._mine._a1.defaultValue=2;
}
function isBackButtonUsed()
{
        return isBack;
}
</script>
<h1>Back button testing</h1>
<form>
        <input type=button value="is back button"
onclick="(isBackButtonUsed())? alert('Back button was used'):alert('Page was
loaded normally')">
</form>