Hi Ted,
I think it really depends on the doctype (i.e (X)HTML Strict or Transitional) of the document. In Strict Doctypes the attribute "language" is deprecated in script elements. See this quick guide:

http://www.zvon.org/xxl/xhtmlReference/Output/comparison.html

However in transitional/ loose doctypes the attribute is allowed.

The "type" attribute is the only required attribute for the script element

Check this:

http://www.zvon.org/xxl/xhtmlReference/Standard/interact/scripts.html#edef-SCRIPT

Ted Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Is this valid
language="_javascript_" type="text/_javascript_"
or should I just have type only. I'm afraid of breaking any functions that might require the language.
Ted